Breast augmentation is one of the most sought after procedures performed by plastic surgeons worldwide. Like the procedure itself, reasons for choosing cosmetic surgery are highly personal and many women research their options for years before deciding to proceed. The reasons one may consider a breast augmentation include:
• Enhancing breasts that are naturally small
• Restoring breast symmetry if one of the breasts is smaller than the other
• Restoring breasts after changes caused by pregnancy and breastfeeding
Breast augmentation is a procedure that comes with several considerations that are as unique as each individual:
• Breast Implant Type: Saline (physiologic salt water) implants, silicone, gel-filled implants or the Ideal Implant™
• Incision Type: Around the nipple or under the breast
• Pocket Placement: Under or above pectoralis major muscle • Implant size
Saline Implants: Saline implants are known for their uniform shape, firmness, and supple feel. Many women choose saline implants because they take comfort in knowing that the implants are filled with a natural substance that will not harm the body in case of rupture.
Silicon Implants: Silicon implants are popular because of their similar feel to actual breast tissue. Additionally, periodic MRIs and ultrasound screenings can monitor the implant for any signs of possible rupture.
Ideal Implants™: Ideal Implants are the most innovative and current form of breast implant. While more expensive, they combine the feel of silicon with the safety of saline. With the added protection of casing surrounding the silicon gel, the implants will not leak if they become ruptured. Dr. Lee will go over these options with you during your consultation to ensure you achieve your ideal outcome. Depending on the individual, a breast lift procedure may be recommended in combination with a breast augmentation.